Labourer III (Race Track Surface Specialist)
Facilities and Infrastructure
This is where it starts!
No matter who you are, chances are you’ve experienced something amazing at Northlands, Northern Alberta’s premier entertainment and business destination. We are a not-for-profit, community service organization that owns and operates Rexall Place, the Edmonton EXPO Centre and Northlands Park Racetrack and Casino—the venues where you can hear Edmontonians cheering out loud.
We are recruiting for the position of Labourer III (Race Track Surface Specialist) to join our Facilities and Infrastructure team. This is an essential role to the organization and necessary to insure that Northlands is providing the safest, highest quality surface for both Thoroughbred and Harness racing. This position involves semi-skilled, manual work. As per the collective agreement, the union wage for this position is $32.80 per hour.
- The daily supervision of the track staff and ensuring the track is ready for training every morning and in race-ready condition every race day
- Assign, organize and directing the duties of other labourers
- Assist in the development and training of labourers
- Provide grader operation training, as it relates to race track surfaces, to the back-up operator
- The ground level supervision of contractors during track conversions
- The daily maintenance of the track equipment, ensuring that any maintenance or safety issues are reported in a timing manner
- Participation on the Northlands Park Venue Safety Committee, Labour Management Consultation Committee and to lead weekly Tool Box Talks
- Prepare sketches and diagrams, estimate materials and labour requirements and order material specific to jobs related to the labourer job class
- Adherence to all Northlands Policies and Procedures
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- Must have good working knowledge of the installation techniques of Thoroughbred and Harness racing surfaces and be able to provide maintenance plans and procedures for both.
- Some knowledge of the standard methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the construction, maintenance or specialized work to which assigned, including knowledge of the work-related occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Possess and demonstrate knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and practices used in the assigned work.
- Understand correct usage of hand and power tools (pneumatic, electric or engine drive), drill motors, saws, grinder, impact wrenches, etc.
- Requires the ability to understand and effectively operate equipment such as graders, packers, frontend loaders, bobcats, forklifts, tractors, man lifts, water trucks, and truck trailer units.
- Must have 3 - 5 years experience at lead level with demonstrated leadership abilities.
- Possess a valid Class 3 drivers license The successful applicant will be required to provide a current Drivers Abstract.
- A security clearance check is also required.
This is a union position and is listed in the Collective Agreement as a Labourer III. CUPE Local #30 requires that all union members forward a copy of their application to: CUPE Local #30 10425 Princess Elizabeth Avenue Edmonton, AB T5G 0Y5
Join the Northlands Team and enjoy some great extras such as comprehensive benefits program; an employer matched defined benefit pension plan; and chances to win tickets to events. As part of our ongoing commitment to our community, our Day of Sharing program lets staff spend a day away from the office (with pay) volunteering in the community.
Competition #: 911-IC1977
Closing Date: Monday February 23, 2015
This Is Where It Starts! Northlands offers a wide range of employment opportunities. We are a flexible employer seeking a variety of skills to meet the needs of our diverse events and facilities. A job that's exciting, rewarding, and entertaining all at the same time! Be part of the team behind the best events in entertainment, business, agriculture and horse racing.